Sunday, July 10, 2005

Opposites Can Become One

Well I'm back from vacation so it's time to post another story. This one was, in part, inspired by things a couple of people I was talking to at the time told me. It was written in January of 2000. The theme was "opposites".

How did it happen? I can still scarcely believe it. Even when I look over at you in the night and see you sleeping there, it's just too good to be true.

There I was a 40 something divorced mother of two. I was trying like crazy to lose just a little weight on the hopes that I could, maybe, find a good boyfriend then. Oh I had dates but I realized finally I was settling for people I didn't like, just to not be alone. I was working my butt off as a secretary. I had just bought my first house all by myself and was so proud of it.

Then you answered my personal ad. After all the pretenders and jerks, I was sure that you were too good to be true. You lived on the east coast yet were willing to fly all the way out to meet me, if I would only agree. After all the times I met people closer that I knew less about, why did I put you through so much? What did you see in my letters that kept you interested while I did my best to discourage you?

Then when you did come and we got along as happily as we had by email and on the phone all those months, I dared to wonder. But it was also apparent to me that you were in a class above me. You didn't say anything about my house but I could tell you were used to better. The restaurants you picked, the cars you rented, later the hotels we stayed in told me that if you could truly afford this you were out of my league. Just the fact that you came back every month for 3 months told me you were unlike anybody I'd ever met.

And again, I tried to discourage you. I was so sure you could never be happy with somebody like me. A lowly secretary. Oh love, I know better now but if I'd known the truth then…. I only thought I knew how far apart we were.

I remember vividly the only time I've seen you mad at me in all the time we've known each other. I remember how it shocked me to find you knocking on my door after I'd told you that we should not see each other anymore, that I was not good enough for you. Oh how your face looked a combination of anger and hurt, as you demanded I tell you what you'd done to make me think I was not good enough for you. I tried to tell you and you shut me up when you got down on your knees, took my hand and said you'd give everything you owned away if I'd just agree to be your mate for the rest of your life.

How you must have hurt when I just told you I'd think about it and told you not to call me that I'd call you. Then I spent the next week thinking, searching my soul. Could it be real? It was more than just me too, my kids deserved more than I could give them and you seemed genuinely enamored of them as well. Was I being selfish? I was beginning to let myself believe that you really did love me.

Finally, I relented and called you and tearfully told you that I loved you and that if you still wanted me I was yours. Then it was, that you showed me the rest of your world and you know how it nearly blew my mind. I know to this day you shake your head at my one request. My refusal to quit working.

I am happy now though. Five years its been on this Valentines day. I wanted to write this to you so you know how much I love you. You have all the physical things you could want and I understand that's not what you craved most. That I can give you the gift you most wanted, I who was so opposite you in every way possible it seems, that just makes me want to love you all the more. Now I can proudly say that I'm happy as your wife, your mate for life and I thank you for your compromise so I can also say I'm your secretary.

Happy Valentines Day my love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THIS WAS A NICE STORY FOR ME TO READ.
I AM GOING THROUGH A DIVORCE. AND FEEL HOPELESS.......
I NOW KNOW THAT IT WAS NOT MY FAULT.
BUT FEEL LIKE I CAN'T TRUST MEN.  MAYBE ONE DAY I WILL......
BUT I KNOW MYSELF AND AM HAPPY ABOUT ME........
THANK YOU,
BRINx